WRITE! CANADA INSPIRES
NEW CONFERENCE IN VANCOUVER
Write! Vancouver, a power-packed one-day writers' conference, promises to raise the proficiency level of both emerging and experienced writers of all ages.
VANCOUVER - Featuring a high-profile, award-winning faculty, Write! Vancouver presents a rare opportunity for writers, students, songwriters, screenwriters, and radio and television producers to boost their competence and connections.
On Saturday, May 26, 2012, the one-day conference offers a wide variety of intimate workshops to emerging and professional writers. Write! Vancouver is presented by The Word Guild, the organization behind the annual Write! Canada and other regional writing events across the country.
"Our conference is the first of its kind in Vancouver," says organizer Beverley Boissery, who is slated to teach workshops ranging from novel writing to website building. "This intensive day of connection and empowerment is the Lower Mainland's response to the success of other Write! Events across the country. It provides an intersection point for a diverse community of writers; an accessible opportunity for professional development that offers valuable tools to both the student or emerging writer, and the seasoned professional."
Guest Speakers & Instructors:
- Dr. Iwan Russell-Jones, a BBC producer and director with more than 25 years' experience and head of Regent College's Christianity and the Arts program, will deliver the keynote address and lead a workshop on writing for television and radio.
- Marnie Wooding, writer and story editor with HarperCollins, and author of more than a dozen books, conducts two workshops: "The Story Editor" and "Adaptation: Making Sense out of Chaos."
- Carolyn Arends, winner of two Dove Awards, teaches a two-session workshop on songwriting. Recognized as the West Coast Music Awards' Songwriter of the Year, Carolyn is a three-time Juno nominee who has released 10 albums to date.
- KC Dyer, freelance writer, speaker, and educator, and author of nine young adult books including the Eagle Glen Trilogy, will lead the specialized Youth Track for writers in grades six through twelve. KC brings a wealth of experience from numerous associations, including that of being New Westminster Secondary School's writer-in-residence.
- Eileen Cook, a multi-published author with books in six different languages, teams up with KC to run the Youth Track. Her latest release, Unraveling Isobel, came out in January of this year.
- Beverley Boissery - author, editor, teacher, publisher, and scholar - offers an intensive on novel writing and a workshop on building your website in an hour.
- Diane Tucker (BFA in Creative Writing from UBC), runs the "Poetry Boot Camp" and "Writers Helping Writers" workshops.
- Marilyn Norry, with 30 years' experience in Canadian film and theatre, explores the essentials of memoir writing in her interactive "Writing Mom's Story" workshop (www.mymothersstory.org).
- Tanya Hawke, a copywriter with 25 years' experience in corporate communications and a Bachelor of Journalism from Carleton University, presents "Writer for Hire: The World of Corporate Communications."
Novelists Kathy Tyers and Mel Anastasiou will participate with others in the networking reception and Blue Pencil-one-on-one critique sessions with professional editors and writers. Book signings will be available onsite with conference faculty and featured authors of The Word Guild.
Online registration is now open at www.thewordguild.com. The conference is $99 for adults and $59 for youth, with discounts available to university students and members of The Word Guild. Coffee, lunch, and refreshments are included. Register by April 30 for a $10 Early Bird Discount. Cutoff date is May 18 - no onsite registrations can be accommodated.
Write! Vancouver will be held on May 26 at Tapestry, located at 3338 Wesbrook Mall on the UBC campus. More details at www.writevancouver.com.
ABOUT THE WORD GUILD
The Word Guild is a team of Canadian writers, editors, speakers, publishers, booksellers, librarians, and other interested individuals who are Christian. From all parts of Canada and many denominational and cultural backgrounds, we are united in our common passion to positively influence individuals - and ultimately the Canadian culture - through life-changing words that bring God's message of hope.
In addition to Write! Canada, its flagship event, The Word Guild sponsors a number of awards programs for published and unpublished writers, including Canada's largest
literary prize for writers who are Christian, the $5,000 Grace Irwin Award. It also holds an annual black-tie Writing Awards Gala and regional Write! events.
Three categories of membership, renewed yearly, are available: professional writers and editors; associate members, who are beginning to put together a body of published work; and affiliates working in publishing, bookselling, libraries, etc. Membership benefits include discounted rates for Write! Canada.
More information at www.thewordguild.com.